There was an error in this gadget

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

What Poem Today numero siete

Started reading Alison Luterman's new manuscript. It's amazing as always. Her poetry seems easier to enter than mine. It embraces like a warm kitchen. Maybe my poetry, in general, is more like a gallery in a modern art museum: you have to go in with your own curiosity, and it's up to you to engage your attention and depth of vision. Hmm.

Big news is I interviewed for the position of Richmond Poet Laureate. I think I have a good shot at it based on my energy and ideas and on my reading. The committee said they were impressed with all the candidates so far, and I was certainly glad to meet another candidate for it: Lincoln Bergman, a politically active, KPFA, organizer gentleman with rhythmic, rhyming materials about history and current events. He read a good poem draft about Maya Angelou, who passed away today.

Talk of making the post a multi-person post, which would be nice. I'm thinking a youth laureate would be a good idea separate from the adult laureate. The office should be a team of poets. In Richmond, with its multiplicity of population, that would be ideal. I feel I'll add Richmond poetry advocacy to what I do regardless of whether or not I'm named laureate. I think the energy is building in Richmond for this.

Prepped some work to submit on Monday or Tuesday next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment